Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Planning Meals When You're Not A Cafeteria Worker

In case you are wondering who the asshole is that rips out magazine pages in your doctors’ office: it’s me. (shoulda used that pig butt photo here I guess.) I’m always gathering recipes, because a) I’m always hungry and b) I’m easily influenced. So I have a lovely little notebook filled with sleeves containing recipes from magazines. And -- I have an electronic grocery list with columns for every aisle of the local store that I forced my husband to create. (I know, slightly anal. Again, pig butt.) But what I’ve never done is sat down and planned to cook more than one recipe at a time during a given week – then plugged it into the list -- because that’s too hard. That's like owning a restaurant or something.

However, while playing around on Epicurious.com I saw that they have a grocery list feature that aggregates groups of foods from multiple recipes, creating a single list. Voila! I decide to choose recipes from this site as an experiment. My goal for the perfect week: two fish recipes, one beef, one chicken, one vegetarian, one salad (and one of these recipes has to be in a crockpot for a busy day.) Okay, that’s only six, but I need a day off.

I chose Beef with Mushrooms & Pea Pods, Salmon with Rice & Broccolini, Smoked Trout in Lettuce Cups, Chicken Provencal Stew, Mushroom Ragout, and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese and Walnuts. All of them look simple, some are vegetarian, and none of them are too spicy or odd or expensive. But my youngest daughter will probably hate them all. Tough. Someday she'll be a mother/restaurant owner and she'll know why we sometimes serve what we serve for dinner. "It's Make-Your-Own-Sandwich Night! Yippee!"

No comments:

Post a Comment