Thursday, October 14, 2010

Meatless Monday, or What-the?-Wednesday


Day 3: I started trying out Meatless Mondays last year, which thrilled the children because it inevitably meant an occasional round of mac and cheese. I'm always on the lookout for vegetarian recipes because they're better for us and cheaper. Tonight is Mushroom Ragout. A milestone for me as I used to have an irrational fear of mushrooms, because my mother told us never to eat anything mushroom-like growing in our yard or it would kill us immediately. And since every mushroom I’ve ever seen looks exactly like what was growing in our backyard, how did anyone know the difference? (I even started writing a novel set in a mushroom farm because I was so fascinated yet afraid.) But my stance was softened a couple years ago by accidentally eating some sautéed mushrooms. I’ve grown more adventurous now – but I have to say, portobellos and shitakes still freak me out. They look like alien space ships.

Everyone likes this creamy, meaty dish, but my husband says, “Y'know, this would be really good on top of a steak.”

I'm going to puree it and add some chicken broth and make soup out of it tomorrow. Or compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment