Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New Ingredients Everyone Else Has Eaten But Me


Day 2: Next up: Salmon with Rice and Broccolini. We chose this because youngest daughter doesn’t like salmon (okay, she doesn’t like anything, all right?) and she is not home. (That, and salmon doesn’t exactly keep in the fridge.) It’s prepared in one pot (love that) but in kind of a weird way – the rice is half sautéed, half-baked in the oven, then the other ingredients are added on top of it. This seems like something you would do in your dorm room because you only have one pan and a hot plate, but hey, whatever.

It also uses two ingredients I’ve never bought or cooked before: shallots and broccolini. Yes, it’s true, I’m a grown woman and I didn’t even know what a shallot looked like. (I wandered all over the grocery store looking for it, thinking it’s scallion-esque, and it turns out its garlic-esque.) This recipe also has a lot of lime in it which the hubby loves, and some cilantro (which the hubby hates. I'll use a little less.) I also have to substitute a little ‘fish sauce’ for the soy sauce in the recipe, due to daughter’s allergy, which is a little bold but hey, it’s fish on fish, same damn species.

This dish is a huge hit with everyone – super simple, and absolutely light and delicious. Everyone loved the broccolini, which was tender and very bright tasting. (The older I get, the more I despise broccoli for its bitter, nubby ends. This is like all of broccoli's good qualities with the rest bred out somehow.) And shallots? Wow. Like a whole other species. Where the hell have I been? And they cost maybe 25c. Much cheaper than a Vidalia onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment