Tuesday, October 12, 2010

As they say in Australia, I'm stuffed when it comes to cooking


Unfortunately for my poor family, I often approach cooking the same way I approach writing my novels. I’m drawn to dangerous situations with interesting damaged characters. This has led to an unhealthy attachment to the dark side: peppers, chiles, curries. My middle daughter has been known to flee the table sobbing that her teeth were on fire.

When I manage to tame this instinct toward spice, I always seem to go in the opposite direction: comfort foods that are cooked in one pot. The kids don’t dig this either: they moan when they see the crockpot. “Can’t we eat normal food?” the youngest one cries. “Can’t we just get a bucket of chicken and eat out of it with our hands like other kids?”

Add to that the fact that we all have food allergies, my husband and I both work, the kids all play multiple sports, and he does the grocery shopping, but I do the cooking – and it’s a recipe for disaster. (That should have been the name of the blog but it was taken.)

Recently, I have vowed to get our dinner situation under control through better planning, smarter purchasing, and more variety. I’ll share recipes, links, online tools and photos along the way. But mostly I’ll have a record for my kids of the fact that I tried. I really did.

No comments:

Post a Comment